School Students and Staff

University of Edinburgh Library can provide reference facilities to final-year school students in connection with specific project work. Teaching staff and school librarians are welcome to register as external users, or as University of Edinburgh graduate members, as appropriate.

Restricted access for Reference users Monday 13 April to Thursday 14 May 2015 inclusive

During exam period, Reference (consultation only) users will not be able to access University of Edinburgh Main Library between opening time and 5.30 pm. This also includes those with SCONUL Reference Only cards/email but does not apply to those with full SCONUL Access borrowing rights or to graduates of the University of Edinburgh.


Final-year school students undertaking projects in connection with Advanced Higher, GCE A Level and Scholarship Level studies can register as reference users.

Reference (consultation only)Free. Membership will normally expire on 30th June.
External borrower - teaching staffA fee applies. Membership lasts for 3, 6 or 12 months.

What do I need to bring?

Reference (consultation only)Edinburgh Libraries Passport (ELP) AND colour passport-size/style photograph
External borrower - teaching staffPhotographic ID AND proof of address*

*Proof of address must be dated within the last 3 months.

Edinburgh Libraries Passport (ELP)

Students whose school participates in the Edinburgh Libraries Passport scheme (ELP) should approach their school librarian in the first instance to get an ELP card. This card should be stamped with the school stamp and taken to any University of Edinburgh Library site where you will be asked to complete an online registration form.

Other schools:

Please email Andrew Kirk to request admission to University of Edinburgh Libraries. The application should list the names of the students and the subject/s they are studying.

Lothians Equal Access Programme for Schools (LEAPS):

Special arrangements are made for students in schools taking part in the LEAPS scheme, especially those attending the Summer School.

What does my card entitle me to?

Details of what your card entitles you to at the University Library can be found on the following page.

Further information

Registration can take place at any library site but can only take place during staffed hours. If you are applying for a reference card you may fill in the application form online before visiting the library.

Your card can be used in the Main Library and all site libraries. Access to departmental or class libraries is not available.

Some site libraries may have special arrangements in place for school students. Please contact the library site before visiting.

Replacement cards (lost, stolen or expired)

If your reference card or external borrower's card is lost or stolen or it expires you must apply for a new one. To do this you must register with the library again and provide the required documentation as detailed above. All required documentation must be provided.

Related links

Accessibility menu