Apple OS X 10.5 and later
Follow the instructions below to configure the built-in VPN client on your Apple computer.
Create a new VPN connection
- Open the System Preferences by going to the Apple menu and choosing “System Preferences”, or by choosing “System Preferences” from the Dock.
- Click "Network" in the System Preferences window.
- If the lock symbol in the network window is locked, click the lock to enable changes to made (you must have an Administrator's account on your computer).
- Click on the plus sign located above the lock icon in the bottom left corner. A small window will open.
- Select "VPN" from the "Interface:" drop down menu.
- Select "L2TP over IPSec" from the "VPN Type:" drop down menu.
- For "Service Name:" enter e.g. "UoE L2TP VPN"
- Click "Create" and the window will close
Configure the VPN connection
- For "Server Address" enter: vpn2.net.ed.ac.uk
- For "Account Name" enter your UUN
- For easy access to the VPN ensure "Show VPN status in menu bar" is ticked.
- Now click "Authentication Settings..." and a large window will open.
- Ensure "Password:" is selected, but leave the password field blank. You will be asked for your password when you connect to the VPN service.
- Ensure "Shared Secret:" is is selected and enter "playfair" as the shared secret.
- Leave the "Group Name:" box blank.
- Click "OK" and the window will close.
- To save the configuration, click "Apply" in the bottom right of the window.
- Click "Advanced..." and a large window will open.
- Ensure the checkbox "Send all traffic VPN connection" is ticked, then click "OK".
- Click "Apply" again to save the configuration.
Connect to the VPN service
To connect to the newly configured VPN service, open the System Preferences by going to the Apple menu and choosing “System Preferences”, then "Network".
- Select "UoE L2TP VPN" in the Network window.
- Click "Connect".
- Enter your password which you specified when you registered for the VPN service, then Click "OK".
- A dial will revolve beneath the "Authentication Settings..." button with the status "Connecting".
- The status will change to "Connected" when authentication is successful.
Disconnect from the VPN service
Disconnect from the University VPN service by clicking on the VPN icon in the menu bar and selecting "Disconnect UoE L2TP VPN".
This article was published on Jan 30, 2013