Before installing Microsoft Security Essentials, you will need to uninstall your current anti-virus program that is on your computer. Please see the instructions at the link below for doing so:
1. The first step to downloading and installing Microsoft Security Essentials is to get the installer by first going to the following page:
2. Click on the 'Download' button after selecting the version you require from the drop-down menu, this will bring up a 'File Download - Security Warning', at which point, please click on 'Run'.
N.B: During the installation process, if you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7 you may see a User Account Control (UAC) window pop up. If you are using Windows 7, click Yes. If you are using Windows Vista, click Continue.
3. In the next window you will see the Installation Wizard’s welcome message. This page outlines the applications features, provides a link to the Privacy Statement, and notes that it will need to check for updates after installed. Click on Next.
4. The next window you will see is the Microsoft Security Essentials License Agreement. Read through this carefully as it outlines liabilities, responsibilities, and rights of both Microsoft and the end?user. Once you have read through the license agreement, click on I accept to continue with the installation, or I decline if you do not want to continue.
5. In the next window you’ll see on 'Join the Customer Experience Improvement Program', select the radio button I do not want to join the program at this time, click Next.
6. Next, you will come to a window regarding optimizing security. Leave the 'If no firewall is turned on, turn on Windows Firewall (Recommended)' box checked and click Next.
7. The first page you will see is a warning to remove all anti-virus and anti-spyware applications from your computer system. Microsoft Security Essentials does not work well with other antivirus programs and can make your system extremely unstable. You would have already done this at the beginning of these instructions.
Click the Install button to begin the installation process.
8. Once you’ve started the installation, you’ll see a progress bar and, once the installation is complete, a Microsoft Security Essentials icon will appear on your computer's desktop and you will be presented with a final installation window with the option to scan your computer for potential threats after getting the latest update.
Leave the “Scan my computer for potential threats after getting the latest update” box checked and click Finish.
9. Next, you should see the main page of Microsoft Security Essentials, which is now running on your system. You’ll note the red bar set towards the top of the window which states that your computer is at risk, this is normal and is only there because the definitions file is not yet up to date. Once it has finished downloading, your computer will be fully protected.
10. To have Microsoft Security Essentials manually check for the most recent virus definitions, click on the Update tab, and then click on the Update button.
If you suspect that your computer is infected, you can perform three types of scans on your computer.
1. Start up Microsoft Security Essentials from the shortcut on your desktop and click on the Home tab. Choose one of the following scan options:
2. Click on the Scan Now button to begin the scanning process.
This article was published on Jul 25, 2012