Sophos Anti-Virus 7.1 is our recommended and supported anti-virus software for Mac OS 10.4 and later.
Before installing Sophos anti-virus you must uninstall any existing anti-virus software from your machine as it may cause conflicts.
Administrator rights are required to install and configure Sophos Anti-Virus on your mac.
1. You must read and accept the terms of the Sophos license agreement before downloading.
2. Run the Sophos installer: (this step is not required for macs that are configured to automatically unzip, mount and run downloads).
3. Click Continue on the warning This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed.
4. Click Continue on the Welcome to the Sophos Anti-Virus Installer window.
5. Click Continue on the Important Information window.
6. Click Continue on the Software License Agreement window then click Agree on the popup to accept the terms of the license agreement.
7. Click Continue on the Select a Destination window.
8. Click Install on the Standard Install on … window. You may be prompted to enter an account with admin rights; enter the details then click OK.
1. Click the Sophos icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose Open Sophos Anti-Virus Preferences...
2. Select AutoUpdate from the menu at the top of the Sophos preferences window that opens.
3. Unlock the Preferences window by clicking the padlock in the bottom left corner.
4. Set up the AutoUpdate settings:
4.1. Set Update from primary location: to Company web server.
4.2. Set Address: to http://newman.ucs.ed.ac.uk/SAV/
4.3. Leave Username: blank.
4.4. Leave Password: blank.
4.5. Ensure Do not use proxy is selected.
If you are installing Sophos on a Mac which is not directly connected to the University's network you may need to configure a VPN connection and then connect to it every time you want to update the virus definitions. If you are experiencing problems with updates, it is a useful first troubleshooting step.
5. Click the padlock again to prevent any further changes then close the Sophos preferences window.
1. Click the Sophos icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose Update Now.
2. Wait for the update to complete - this typically takes around 2-3 minutes and may restart Sophos.
3. Click the Sophos icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose Scan This Mac.
This article was published on Jun 21, 2012