Freedom of information, data protection and records management
The Records Management Section (RMS) provides advice, guidance and training on records management, data protection and freedom of information matters.
The RMS website publishes a range of policies, procedures, guidance and frequently asked questions to help you.
Freedom of information
RMS provides procedures and advice for responding to non-routine requests for information, such as:
- a member of the public asking for information about your research or teaching materials
- a public official asking for details about a student
- a student asking to see their student file
RMS provides guidance and support to ensure the way you handle information about people complies with data protection.
For example RMS can:
- Help researchers to develop strategies for recruiting research participants
- Provide model contract clauses to allow you to share personal information with external contractors
- Give practical advice to committee secretaries to manage the implications of information legislation for committee servicing
RMS provides support to help you implement records management best practice, including:
- Providing best practice guidance for managing your emails, and working from home
- Supporting units to develop records management systems and procedures
- Providing guidance on how long to keep information and how to dispose of it appropriately
This article was published on Aug 31, 2011