Short-term visiting students

We welcome visiting graduate research students from other institutions in Britain and abroad.

Edinburgh Castle from the Royal Mile

Interested in applying to be a visiting student in the Graduate School?

We welcome applications from students registered at other Universities who feel they would benefit from a period of research or study at the University of Edinburgh, within the Graduate School of History, Classics and Archaeology. Periods of formal affiliation are typically from one to ten months and are mainly intended for students undertaking specialist archive research or fieldwork in Edinburgh, although we nay be able to accommodate students wishing to undertake taught courses.

All visiting students to the University must be registered on the University’s student record system. There is an application process and fees will normally be charged.

Types of visiting student

Your application will be matched against one of these categories.

1. Postgraduate Research Visiting Student (Research Training, 6 months or less)

2. Postgraduate Research Visiting Student (Research Training, more than 6 months)

3. Postgraduate Research Visiting Student (Research)

4. Postgraduate Taught Visiting Students

Most of the Graduate School's visiting students fall into category 1 above, and will therefore be liable to pay a flat-rate fee, which is currently £815 (2014/15), rising to £860 (2015/16). For more information on the fees, please see the link at the foot of this page.

How to apply

If you wish to come to our School as a visiting student, please complete the application form below. If you are a research student, we strongly recommend that you make contact with our academic staff in your field and identify someone willing to supervise you before applying.

The Graduate School will initially process your form and then liaise with the Visiting Student Office, who will formally write to you. Please note that in terms of processing time, students who require a visa must submit their formal application at least 8 weeks before the intended start date. All others (i.e. Europeans/dual nationals) must apply at least 6 weeks before. Otherwise, we cannot guarantee that applications will be processed in time.

English language requirements

If you are a non-EEA national, you will need to advise us on your application form what type of visa you will hold to come here.

The UK Border Agency allows non EEA-nationals to study in the UK for up to 6 months with a 'Student visitor' visa. 'Student visitors' are not entitled to undertake paid, unpaid or voluntary work placement and can't extend their visa, or to apply for other visas from within the UK (i.e. cannot apply for Tier 4 General Student Visa without leaving the country). Travel back and forth (e.g. re-entry to the UK) is also more difficult. Thus, it is recommended that visiting postgraduate research students apply for a Tier 4 General Student Visa if they might wish to travel back and forth or extend their visit.

Tier 4 students must meet standard College entry requirements for postgraduate students (Please note: tests must be taken no more than two years before the planned admission date). Please see the link below.

Stephen Bowd PhD
  • Dr Stephen Bowd
  • Reader; European History, 1500-1800
  • School of History, Classics and Archaeology University of Edinburgh
  • Room 00M.11, William Robertson Wing
  • Old Medical School
  • Teviot Place
  • Edinburgh
  • EH8 9AG
  • Work: 0131 650 3758
  • Fax: +44 (0)131 650 3784
Dr Bowd's staff profile

Accessibility menu