This section provides details on the University initiatives with regards to Sustainability.
The Sustainability Advisor leads the development of Social Responsibility and Sustainability policies and practices - in Estates and where appropriate within the wider University community.
The Univeristy's main Social Responsibiltiy and Sustainability website.
Sustainability and Environmental Advisory Group
The Sustanability Advisor supports the Vice-Principal responsible for convening the Sustainability and Environmental Advisory Group.
The remit of SEAG is to provide the necessary drive, leadership and focus in order to promote sustainability and social responsibility within the University of Edinburgh and the Further and Higher Education sector:
- To promote and encourage the delivery of an outstanding educational portfolio as recommended in the Sustainability in the Curriculum report endorsed by Senatus in 2007.
- To advise Central Management Group on the opportunities for enhancing the University's research contribution to a healthier, wealthier, greener, smarter and successful Scotland, with a particular focus on 'futures thinking'.
- To establish a recognisable and consistent approach to the strategic management and communication of all impacts, and engage with Business In The Community Corporate Responsibility Index and the Global Reporting Initiative.
- To promote practical research and development on issues of sustainability (in terms of human capital and in terms of techniques and technologies) to meet the needs of the University, those of the City of Edinburgh and of the wider Scottish and international stakeholders.
- To receive reports on progress in sustainability practices from Estates and Buildings, Procurement and others and advise Central Management Group on the resources and methods to achieve continual improvement of the University's social and environmental performance beyond compliance towards sustainability.
For more information on the Sustainability and Environment Advisory Group committee:
Sustainability Advisor - David Somervell
Estates and Buildings
13 Infirmary Street
Tel: +44 (0)131 650 2073
Fax: +44 (0)131 650 9346
This article was published on Apr 5, 2013