College of Science and Engineering Incentive Scheme
The project objective is to reduce the University’s six million pound spent on electricity by informing building users of recorded monthly electricity consumption and rewarding them for electricity reductions.
The breakdown of electricity use across the University estate is as below;
You will see that there is potential for saving significant sums of money. Your school will be offered a financial reward if you use less electricity then the target given. The target is based on your schools previous years consumption running from August 2010 to August 2011 and rewards will be received in November 2012.
Building electricity savings will be apportioned based on weighted occupied space held in the Space Database. We would encourage a community approach to electricity saving in multiple occupancy buildings.
The savings must be due to reduced electrical consumption as a result of occupant behaviour or more efficient process. Further guidelines and eligibility criteria are detailed below.
- The annual target will be set in or as near as possible to August each year. The target will not be altered during the academic year and will be calculated using the historic consumption stored in our database.
- The price risk will be retained by Estates and Buildings and will not be changed during the academic year.
- Although the data will be normalised for average weather it must be anticipated that natural patterns in the winter weather will result in corresponding heating utility consumption variations. As the effect on electrical consumption will generally be minimal, Schools and Planning Units will be expected to absorb these.
Buildings will not be eligible for awards in the following circumstances:
- Where the building has had a significant change of use, staff, structure, ownership or has been mothballed (e.g. the School of Geological Sciences will not be included within this pilot due to the works within High School Yards on the Edinburgh Centre on Climate Change).
- Where there is a new building or major refurbishment the building wont be included unless there is 12 months consumption data following practical completion and up to the start of the next financial year.
- Where there has been a change of energy supply (e.g. where the heating is changed from electricity to gas).
- If the building has been closed or is due to close.
- The building has been sold.
This article was published on Nov 8, 2011