Staff research interests
Dr Gillean McCluskey
Head of Institute for Education, Community & Society (ECS) / Deputy Director of CREID / Senior Lecturer
Education, Community and Society (ECS)
Tel: +44 (0) 131 651 6637
Location: St John's Land 4.12
- PhD (Edinburgh University) 2004
- PGCE (Secondary) (English) (Jordanhill College, Glasgow 1989-1990
- Diploma in Housing Studies (Part 11) Glasgow University 1985-1987
- MA (Hons) General (Edinburgh University) 1981-1985
Dr Gillean McCluskey researches and teaches in the areas of social and emotional wellbeing, school discipline, exclusion and disaffection, and conflict resolution in schools. She has worked in mainstream schools and alternative settings with young people in trouble and at risk, and is interested in the achievements and experiences of marginalised groups in education.
Gillean recently had funding externally from ESRC and from the City of Edinburgh to work with colleagues from Cambridge University and Nottingham University on an international and inter-disciplinary seminar series exploring Restorative Approaches to conflict in schools. This built on her extensive research in this area in recent years. She was recently awarded funding to explore the links between theory, policy and practice in behaviour management in the UK. She is also currently working with Professor Sheila Riddell and Dr Gwynedd Lloyd on research to examine exclusion from school in Wales.
- Exclusion from school
- Troubled and Troublesome pupils and behaviour
- Restorative Approaches in school
- Relationships between youth crime and education
- Multi-agency working
- Pastoral care and personal support for pupils
- Pupil voice
Projects supervised by Dr Gillean McCluskey
Current and recent research
- Youth Justice in Western Europe and the Baltic States
- Welsh Government. Evaluation of Education Provision for Children and Young People Educated Outside School (Principal Investigator)
- Moray House School of Education. Theory, policy and practice in behaviour management (Principal Investigator).
- Centre for the Study of Islam, University of Edinburgh, Muslim Pupils Experience of Education in England and Scotland, 2010-2012 (researcher).
- City of Edinburgh Council. Confident Staff, Confident Children; the impact of staff training in emotional health and wellbeing 2011 (Principal Investigator).
- Scottish Government. Research into Behaviour in Scottish Schools 2009, (researcher ).
- Scottish Government. Restorative Practices in Scottish Schools: Follow-up 2008, (Co-investigator).
- City of Edinburgh. Additional Support for Learning School Staff Survey 2008, (Principal Investigator).
- Falkirk Council. Evaluation of Development of Restorative Approaches 2008, (Co-investigator).
- Scottish Government. Restorative Practices in Educational Settings 2004-2006, (Researcher ).
- Royal Society of Edinburgh. Restorative Practices in Scottish and South African Schools, (Principal Investigator).
- Department of Children, Schools and Families. Outcomes for Excluded Pupils 2006- 2009, (Researcher).
- European Union. Religious Education in Multicultural Societies, 2008-2010, (Researcher).
Publications list for Dr Gillean McCluskey
- Children and young people at risk and in trouble (home, school, community)
- Exclusion and Disaffection from School
- Restorative approaches in Schools
- Inter-agency work with children and young people at risk or in trouble
- Listening to children and young people
This article was published on Oct 25, 2011