Projects and activities
The ‘Education’ part of CARE features strongly in its activities. The philosophy is to link education and research and to ensure that the knowledge emanating from research is applied by swimmers and coaches.
Here are some of the major knowledge exchange activities since 2008:
- Leonardo Project
- Improving quality and cost effectiveness of Scandinavian swimming teacher education using advanced online and audio-visual technologies. Development of online learning material for swimming coaches and teachers. Funded by Leonardo da Vinci Transfer of Innovation Scheme.
- SwimEasy Research Project
- This is a mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge that includes development of CPD material for the Leonardo project and research projects identified by SwimEasy to assist in the development and improvement of their learn to swim programme.
- Educational Products for Teachers and Coaches
- Glidecoach. Coach friendly software for giving immediate feedback to swimmers regarding their efficiency in the glide phase of starts and turns. Funded by EPSRC. CARE has recently been awarded a SFC Innovation Voucher Scheme award of £4k to explore the possibility of further development with industry partners.
- Swimming Science Certificate
- University of Edinburgh online postgraduate course. Planned to extend to Masters.
- Applied Swimming Programme ISBS 2009
- Applied session for coaches (Ross Sanders organiser). Published in the Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Biomechanics in Sports: Original Writing Limited, Limerick. Over 100 British coaches were attracted to this event in which 19 leading swimming scientists accepted invitations to present (programme attached).
This article was published on Oct 5, 2011