Part 10: Rectors, Directors of Studies, Principals and Heads of School from 1835 - present

A chronological list of Moray House's rectors, directors of studies, principals and Heads of School.

Free Church of Scotland

  • 1843 - 1848: After the Disruption the Normal School was located in Whitefield Chapel then in rooms below the Music Room in Rose Street, Edinburgh
  • 1845 - 1846: Thomas Oliphant - Rector
  • 1846 - 1855: James Fulton - Rector
  • 1848: The Normal School moved to Moray House in the Canongate, Edinburgh
  • 1855 - 1863: James Sime - Rector
  • 1864 - 1907: Maurice Paterson - Rector

Church of Scotland

  • 1835 - 1837: General Assembly’s Normal Seminary, Edinburgh
  • 1837 - 1840: The Normal and Sessional School of Edinburgh
  • 1835 - 1840: John Wood - Superintendent
  • 1843: The Disruption in the Church of Scotland
  • 1845: New buildings opened at Johnston Terrace
  • 1845 - 1853: George S Davidson - Rector
  • 1854 - 1886: James Currie - Rector
  • 1879: New building opened in Chambers Street
  • 1886 - 1903: Peter McKinlay - Rector
  • 1903 - 1920: Alexander Morgan - Rector

Edinburgh Provincial Training Centre

  • 1907: Edinburgh Provincial Training Centre formed; the church training colleges subsumed within this organisation. The new teaching building opened at Moray House in 1913.
  • 1907 - 1920: John King - Director of Studies
  • 1907 - 1920: Alexander Morgan - Principal
  • 1920 - 1925: Alexander Morgan - Director of Studies & Principal
  • 1925 - 1951: Godfrey Thomson - Director of Studies at Moray House/Bell Professor of Education at Edinburgh University
  • 1951 - 1959: William B Inglis - Director of Studies

Moray House College / Moray House Institute of Education

  • 1959: Moray House College of Education formed
  • 1959 - 1966: William B Inglis - Principal
  • 1966 - 1974: Douglas McIntosh - Principal
  • 1975 - 1981: Baillie Ruthven - Principal
  • 1981 - 1998: Gordon Kirk - Principal
  • 1991: Linked with Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh; retitled Moray House Institute of Education

Faculty of Education / The Moray House School of Education

August 1998: Moray House Institute of Education merged with The University of Edinburgh becoming its Faculty of Education.

It is now The Moray House School of Education of The University of Edinburgh.

  • 1998 - 2007: Pamela Munn - Head of School
  • 2007 - 2009: Jim O'Brien - Head of School
  • 2009 - 2010: Pat McLaughlin - Head of School
  • 2010 - 2013: Cara Aitchison - Head of School
  • 2013 - present: Rowena Arshad - Head of School
Related links

Accessibility menu