History and development of Moray House School of Education's buildings, including descriptions of significant architectural features. All are located in the historical Cannongate/Holyrood area of Edinburgh and Old Moray House is the oldest building in the University of Edinburgh.
The Canongate forms part of what is now called the 'Royal Mile' running from Edinburgh Castle down to Holyrood Palace.
St John's Land was erected sometime between 1766-68 by John, the second Earl of Hopetoun.
The origin of the use of the St John name in this neighbourhood is obscure but it has certainly been in use since 1540.
This was the kirk of the Old (or Great) Kirk, a congregation which had originally worshipped in part of St Giles.
A major new facility built at the turn of the 20th century to accommodate rising numbers and improve training methods.
Thomson's Land began its history as the Demonstration School, providing primary and secondary education as well as opportunities for Moray House student teachers to practise.
For many years Moray House ran a nursery for children in various parts of the city as well as at Holyrood itself.
In the late 1950s the increase in student numbers meant that there was a requirement for more teaching accommodation at Holyrood, resulting in another new development, named Dalhousie Land.
Simon Laurie House, which received its current name 2001, was originally built during a redevelopment of some of Moray House's Canongate properties in the 1960s.
In response to the shortage of teachers in Scotland in the late 1950s and early 1960s Moray House looked to the possibility of building additional teaching facilities close to existing estate, the result of which was Charteris Land.
As part of the development of new specialist teaching accommodation the Board of Governors agreed in 1967 to develop a Physical Education block.
This article was published on Apr 13, 2015