There are a wide variety of roles available in psychology, and psychologists work in a diverse range of settings. A psychology degree is a prerequisite for all psychologist roles, but there is no single training route for the different specialisms.

The British Psychological Society (BPS) provides up-to-date information about training and should be the first point of contact for anyone pursuing a career in this field.

There are also a number of related psychological therapy roles including clinical associate, primary care graduate mental health worker and IAPT low intensity worker.


Follow the links below for profiles of common occupations in this sector:


We may have some Edinburgh alumni contacts who can give you some useful advice on getting into this type of work. Connect.ed can be found in the Careers tab on your MyEd portal - and you can search for contacts there by employer, job title, locations, and School (UG and PG).

General information

British Psychological Society (BPS) - is the professional body for all practising UK psychologists. Go to the Careers section for information on becoming a psychologist, the different specialisms, entry requirements and training routes. You can find out about Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) and search for a BPS accredited undergraduate, postgraduate and conversion courses. There is also a searchable directory of chartered psychologists and information on the specialist divisions within the Society. For those interested in academia/studying at a higher level, research resources including projects and funding. There is a Jobs section and you can read issues of the BPS' monthly publication, The Psychologist.

Health and Care Professions Council - statutory regulator of practitioner psychologists. The website includes a database of Health and Care Professions Council approved courses.

Health Careers: Psychological Therapies - the new careers website for NHS careers in England and Wales, covering the full variety of career options available. Information includes job descriptions, case studies and entry routes for careers in psychology (clinical, counselling, forensic and health), psychotherapy, counselling and related roles.

NHS Education for Scotland: Psychology - is responsible for expanding training capacity and modernising training pathways for psychologists to meet the needs of the NHS in Scotland.

Clinical psychology

Division of Clinical Psychology - professional organisation for UK Clinical Psychologists. One of the divisions of the British Psychological Society.

Clearing House for Clinical Psychology - is the central point for applying for most three-year Doctorate courses in clinical psychology. Information about courses and application forms are available online.

Health Careers: Clinical Psychologist - careers information from NHS.

Educational psychology

Association of Educational Psychologists (AEP) - the professional association and trade union for educational psychologists in the UK. The site includes a careers section outlining the role and routes to qualification (although it tends to focus on England, Wales and Northern Ireland) as well as news and membership information.

Department for Eduation: educational psychologists - information from the DoE about working and training as an educational psychologist, including the Educational Psychology Funded Training (EPFT) scheme.

Division of Educational and Child Psychology (DECP) - professional organisation for UK Educational Psychologists. One of the divisions of the British Psychological Society. Includes information about training to be an Educational Psychologist in England and Wales.

Scottish Division of Educational Psychology (SDEP) - a sub-division of the BPS with a focus on the training and practice of educational psychology in Scotland. Includes information on careers and postgraduate training.

Sport and exercise psychology

British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) - includes information on a career as a sport psychologist.

Division of Sport and Exercise Psychology - one of the divisions of the British Psychological Society for UK Sport and Exercise Psychologists. Includes information about training to be a Sport and Exercise Psychologist.

Clinical associate in applied psychology

In Scotland, there are two postgraduate courses which enable graduates to work in the role of clinical associate in applied psychology. Both courses are run jointly by NHS Scotland and are a mixture of work and study:

MSc in Psychological Therapy in Primary Care (run jointly by University of Dundee and University of Stirling)

MSc in Applied Psychology for Children and Young People (University of Edinburgh)

IAPT low intensity worker/ Primary care graduate mental health worker

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) - this website explains about this new initiative in England, what the jobs involve and how to apply. The roles that graduates enter are low intensity worker trainee. This role is distinct from primary care graduate mental health worker.

Health Careers: Primary Care Graduate Mental Health Worker - careers information from the NHS, including entry requirements, training and where to find vacancies.

Accessibility menu