The composition of the Senatus is set out in University Ordinance 204 and is as follows:
- The Principal & Vice-Chancellor. The Principal is President of the Senatus, with a deliberative and casting vote.
- All Professors of the University
- Elected non-professorial representatives of readers, senior lecturers and lecturers.
- Elected representatives of University demonstrators and research staff
- Elected student representatives.
- Ex-officio members, who are not already in any of the categories above, these include: Vice-Principals, Heads of Colleges, up to five senior figures appointed from each one of the three Colleges, the University Librarian, the Director of Edinburgh University Computing Service, Heads of Schools within Colleges and up to nine other members holding a University or College office (other than those specified above).
Senatus Assessors on Court
The Senatus elects from its membership four Senatus Assessors to serve on the University Court, of whom at least one must be a Professor and at least one a non-professorial member of the teaching staff. The following Senate members are the current Senatus on Court:
Professor T Harmar (2011-1014)
Professor D J Finnegan (2008-10 and re-elected 2010-14)
Professor J Ansell (2010-2012 and re-elected 2012-2016)
Dr M Aliotta (2008-2012 and re-elected 2012-2016)
This article was published on Sep 6, 2012