He is an Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist in NHS Lothian.
Professor McIntosh graduated in Medicine from Aberdeen University in 1995 and Psychiatry training within Scotland.
He has held several posts, including that of Wellcome Trust Research Fellow, MRC Research Fellow, Academy of Medical Sciences/Health Foundation Clinician Scientist, Reader and Visiting Associate Professor at Yale Medical School.
Professor McIntosh's goal is to identify and use genetic risk factors for psychiatric disorder in order to elucidate their underlying disease mechanisms using measures of brain structure, function and connectivity.
Markers of esteem
Associate Director of the Scottish Mental Health Research Network (SMHRN)
Co-editor of Companion to Psychiatric Studies
Co-author of Critical Appraisal for Psychiatry
Member of MRCPsych Critical Review Panel
Member of Royal College of Psychiatrists Public Affairs Committee
Chair of Generation Scotland Psychiatry Expert Working Group
Vice Chair of the Chief Scientist Office ETMRC Committee
- Polygenic risk and white matter integrity in individuals at high risk of mood disorder
- Biol Psychiatry. 2013;74(4): 280-286
- Whalley HC, Sprooten E, Hackett S, Hall L, Blackwood DH, Glahn DC, ...
- Polygenic risk for schizophrenia is associated with cognitive change between childhood and old age
- Biol Psychiatry. 2013;73(10): 938-943
- McIntosh AM, Gow A, Luciano M, Davies G, Liewald DC, Harris SE, Deary IJ
- White matter integrity in individuals at high genetic risk of bipolar disorder
- Biol Psychiatry. 2011;70(4):350-6
- Sprooten E, Sussmann JE, Clugston A, Peel A, McKirdy J, Moorhead TW, Anderson S, Shand AJ, Giles S, Bastin ME, Hall J, Johnstone EC, Lawrie SM, McIntosh AM
- The neural basis of familial risk and temperamental variation in individuals at high risk of bipolar disorder
- Biol Psychiatry. 2011;70(4):343-9
- Whalley HC, Sussmann JE, Chakirova G, Mukerjee P, Peel A, McKirdy J, Hall J, Johnstone EC, Lawrie SM, McIntosh AM
- Association of white matter integrity with genetic variation in an exonic DISC1 SNP
- Mol Psychiatry. 2011;16(7):688-9
- Sprooten E, Sussmann JE, Moorhead TW, Whalley HC, Ffrench-Constant C, Blumberg HP, Bastin ME, Hall J, Lawrie SM, McIntosh AM
- Longitudinal volume reductions in people at high genetic risk of schizophrenia as they develop psychosis
- Biol Psychiatry. 2011 May 15;69(10):953-8
- McIntosh AM, Owens DC, Moorhead WJ, Whalley HC, Stanfield AC, Hall J, Johnstone EC, Lawrie SM