HRH The Princess Royal has been installed as the Chancellor of the University.
The event took place in the Old College Quadrangle in the afternoon of Monday 26 September.
The Princess Royal succeeds HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, who stepped down from the role in 2010, having held it since 1953.
The Princess is also Patron of the University’s Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies.
She is the University’s eighth Chancellor in the 150-year history of the position.
Watch a video of the installation ceremony.
The ceremony took place in front of staff and students and was followed by refreshments on Old College lawn.
The Chancellor unveiled a plaque to mark the newly completed landscaping of the quadrangle.
During the event, the newly installed Chancellor presented a benefactor's award to the writer JK Rowling.
The award recognises the Harry Potter author's gift of £10 million to the University for the establishment of the Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic.
The facility, due to open in spring 2013, will focus on research into treatments for Multiple Sclerosis and other degenerative neurological conditions.
Also recognised with a benefactor's award were Hugh MacGillivray Langmuir and Josseline Langmuir.
Lord Wilson of Tillyorn was presented with a degree honoris causa for his contribution to Scotland via education, commerce and culture.
Later at a gala dinner at Holyroodhouse, the Chancellor presented awards to three members of staff for their contribution to teaching and research.
Sue Welburn, Professor of Medical and Veterinary Molecular Epidemiology and Director of the University’s Global Health Academy, was given the teaching award.
Mark Bradley, Professor of High-Throughput Chemistry, received the Chancellor’s Award for Research.
Dr Dominic Johnson, Reader in Politics and International Relations, was given the Rising Star Award, in recognition of his academic potential.