The Open Languages courses are one semester language courses available to all students within the university.
The Open Languages courses are free to all University of Edinburgh students (both undergraduate and postgraduate, and at any stage of their degree), whether taken as part of a degree, or above and beyond degree requirements (extra credit).
All the courses:
- are SCQF level 07
- last one semester
- are each worth 20 credits
- provide 40-44 hours of tuition through the semester, with two two-hour classes per week
- are taught in groups of 20-30 students. Some of the larger courses have more than one group within the course; students will be allocated a group.
Students who wish to take these courses (whether for credit or as extra credit) must be enrolled by the relevant staff member within their school (usually a Personal Tutor, Student Support Officer, Supervisor or Postgraduate office).
- These courses cannot be audited - all students, including postgraduates, must be enrolled through EUCLID as Class and Exam (CE), do all the coursework and sit the exam.
- Students MUST attend sets of tutorials (2 x 2 hours weekly) in the group you have been allocated to and cannot attend more than one group.
- Students on some degrees cannot take SCQF level 7 courses as outside courses - these students would have to take these courses for extra credit - please check your Degree Programme Table.
- Whether taken for credit or extra credit results from these courses will appear on the student’s university transcript (when taken for extra credit the results will not be used in any degree classification calculations).
- Visiting students may only take these courses as part of their normal course load.
There are three levels within the Open Languages courses:
These courses are for absolute beginners who have no previous knowledge of the language.
These courses are for students with some previous knowledge of the language. They follow on from the Foundation 1 courses.
These courses are intended for students who have successfully completed Foundation 2 courses or have reached an equivalent standard at CEFR level A2/1. Students with Advanced Highers or A level are over-qualified for this course.
Any enquiries about these courses should be directed to the Undergraduate Administrator for Open Languages, Helene Thomsen, who works in 50 George Square, room 1.07 (opening hours Mon- Tue & Thu-Fri 8.30am-4.30pm) and can be contacted by phone on (0131) 650 6949 or by email at:
Non-students, or students who cannot take an Open Language course may wish to consider the Languages for All courses run by the Office of Lifelong learning - these courses have a cost, although they may be discounted for those connected to the university.