Current students

Important information for students from abroad who are currently studying at the University of Edinburgh.

Extending your visa

Student working with coffee
The peak visa application period in the UK runs from September until February.

How to apply

Student listening
If you are extending your Tier 4 General student visa it is important to make sure that you get the application right first time.

Tier 4 General sponsorship

View of Edinburgh Castle
When you apply for your Tier 4 General student visa, your name is added to the University’s sponsor licence number.

Visa refusals

Student and staff member reading
The visa process is an application - and sometimes applications can be refused.

Working during studies

Student with laptop outside
This information is relevant to you if you have immigration permission as a student, including as a Tier 4 student.

Working after studies

Once you have completed your course of studies at the University of Edinburgh, you may wish to stay on in the UK to work.

Tier 4 Information for Sabbatical Officers

Two students listening
International students are encouraged to stand for election as a Sabbatical Officer.

Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme

Student working in Potterow
If you are studying on a PhD or other doctorate level qualification you might apply for a visa to work or look for work in the UK for up to 12 months.

Lost passport and visa

A passport
If your passport and/or visa are lost or stolen, you must report this to the police as soon as possible.