Details on how to register, set up a collection, and deposit data in the repository.
How to register
- Point a browser window to Edinburgh DataShare (link below).
- Once in Edinburgh DataShare, find "My Account" in the left-hand menu, and click on "Register."
- Use your EASE credentials and wait for confirmation email.
*Note only University of Edinburgh members are eligible to deposit. Visitors and collaborators may apply for an EASE Friend account ( link below).
How to set up a data collection
- On the Edinburgh DataShare homepage, browse the list of "Research Communities" to see what collections are available.
- Send a message to email@example.com indicating where you wish to deposit: an existing or new collection.
- If a new collection is needed, indicate who should have deposit rights, and provide a name, short description, and where possible, an image.
- A repository administrator will send you an email when your new collection is ready to be populated.
How to deposit an item (dataset)
- Log into Edinburgh DataShare, select the collection you want to deposit in and click on "Submit a new item to this collection." Alternatively, you may use the homepage "Deposit" button; which will send your deposit to a "holding" collection and moved to the appropriate collection once available.
- Follow the instructions for describing your item, filling in as many fields (metadata) as possible. You may "Save & Exit"anytime, or continue to the "Next" step. You can find your saved items under "My Account," by clicking on "Submissions."
- Follow the instructions to upload your item. This should include all the data files (in one or more formats) and all the documentation files needed to make the data understandable and re-usable.
- Review your metadata, data files and documentation files. Correct any errors.
- The default licence is Creative Commons Attribution 4.0, but if you want to add another open data licence you will be given the opportunity to do so.
- When your item is ready click on "Complete submission" and wait for confirmation. Once your item is live on Edinburgh DataShare, you will be given a persistent identifier and will be able to bookmark the page.
Download Edinburgh DataShare User's Guide, a 4-page step by step guide, with screenshots:
* The Data Library team can guide you through the submission process, just contact us for an appointment or telephone consultation.
** If you wish to discuss your requirements or how to deposit large files or a large number of files please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Things to consider before depositing
Edinburgh DataShare's Checklist for deposit