Instructions for configuring the built-in VPN client on your Apple Mac.
Create a new VPN connection
- Click the Apple menu and choose "System Preferences" and then "Network"
- Click on the plus sign at the bottom left. A small window will open.
- Select "VPN" from the "Interface".
- Select "L2TP over IPSec" from the "VPN Type".
- For "Service Name", enter e.g. "UoE L2TP VPN".
- Click "Create" and the window will close.
Configure the VPN connection
- For "Server Address" enter vpn2.net.ed.ac.uk
- For "Account Name" enter your UUN.
- For easy access to the VPN, ensure "Show VPN status in menu bar" is ticked.
- Now click "Authentication Settings..."
- Ensure "Password:" is selected, but leave the password field blank. You will be asked for your password when you connect to the VPN service.
- Ensure "Shared Secret:" is selected and enter playfair as the shared secret.
- Leave the "Group Name:" box blank and click "OK".
- Click "Advanced..."
- Ensure the checkbox "Send all traffic VPN connection" is ticked, then click "OK".
- Click "Apply" again to save the configuration.
Connect to the VPN service
To connect to the newly configured VPN service each time:
- Click the black VPN icon up near the clock and select "Connect UoE L2TP VPN".
- Enter your VPN password and press "OK".
- The status should change from "Connecting..." to "Connected" when successful.
Disconnect from the VPN service
Disconnect from the University VPN service by clicking on the VPN icon in the menu bar and selecting "Disconnect UoE L2TP VPN".