Human Resources

Support for EEA Staff and Staff with EEA Partners

Additional advice and support for staff around Brexit.

The University is proud of our diverse and international community and is intent on ensuring we provide the best support to all our staff, students and their families. 

As the UK prepares to exit the European Union, we understand that this is an uncertain and anxious time for many people.

As a result, we have put together a programme of additional support to provide staff with up-to-date information, legal advice on the possibilities and procedures to secure permanent residency in the UK or UK citizenship, along with financial support to help with those procedures.

We are committed to providing staff who are nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) [1] and Switzerland - and any other member of staff with an EEA or Swiss partner and/or dependants - with the following additional support over the coming months:

Group briefing sessions

One-hour sessions will be led by external lawyers Brodies LLP. A total of 12 sessions in various locations will take place during the week commencing 24 April and will be available to book via MyEd between Monday 27 March and Friday 7 April. They will cover:

  • How to apply for a UK residence certificate and permanent residence card 
  • How to apply for British citizenship
  • Advice for any member of staff with an EEA partner/dependants

To assist with planning, these sessions MUST be booked in advance. Those who book will also be contacted with a short survey asking if they wish to take up the additional support described below. 

Individual consultation meetings

Staff will be able to book a 20 minute consultation meeting with an external immigration adviser to discuss their own or their partner’s/dependants’ residence/citizenship applications or personal queries.

We will supply guidance notes to those attending the group briefing sessions along with example application forms. Staff will be asked to complete the printed form before their individual meeting and come prepared with specific queries about their own and/or their dependants' circumstances. 

These 1-2-1 sessions will be available to book via MyEd from Monday 1 May. To help the immigration adviser prepare for this session and help staff get the most from it, those who book a 1-2-1 will be asked to complete a short form outlining their personal circumstances, any problems they have faced in filling in the example Home Office application forms and/or what advice they seek to obtain from the 1-2-1 session.                                      

Legal costs

The University is in discussion with a number of Scottish legal firms who specialise in immigration law with a view to agreeing reduced hourly rates for staff who may need additional legal advice. Staff in need of additional advice can make direct contact with the named firms, ideally after they have had their 1-2-1 consultation meeting and reflected on the advice given during this session. Further information on this service will be available from Monday 24 April. Staff remain free to seek legal advice from a firm of their own choosing.

Financial support

Staff wishing to apply for residency documentation or UK citizenship will be able to apply for an interest free loan to help spread the cost of associated fees. This loan facility can also be used to help spread the cost of the legal advice provided by the University’s panel of advisers or any other legal firm of an employee’s choosing.

Staff who have already applied for and obtained a residence card and/or citizenship, and/or taken legal advice regarding the implications of Brexit, will be able to apply for a retrospective loan for fees paid after the EU Referendum date of 23 June 2016.

Further information and the loan application form will be available from 24 April 2017.

General enquiries regarding the group sessions, 1-2-1 sessions, access to legal advice and/or the interest free loan should be sent to

Evidence of employment and earnings 

Staff can request a ‘to whom it may concern’ letter confirming the essential information they need for their permanent residence and/or citizenship applications. Should evidence of earnings also be required, staff will be able to request duplicate P60s and/or monthly pay information. Staff making such a request will need to make it clear which 5 year continuous period they are relying on to show evidence of residency in the UK. As the University does not retain P60 information prior to tax year 2008/9, a mix of P60s and monthly wage slip information may be required. The University will waive the current £10 admin fee charged by Payroll for reproducing P60s to support Home Office applications.  

Requests should be emailed to your local College/Support Group HR team. As retrieving and printing such information is time-consuming, staff should allow at least 14 calendar days for a full response from their HR team and take this turnaround time into account when planning to submit their residency/citizenship application. 

Staff can also seek help from their HR team should they need to clarify annual leave and other work-related dates of absence from the UK that need to be declared on their application. 

Local College/Support Group teams can be contacted as follows:

College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences:

College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine:

College of Science and Engineering:

Support Groups:



 [1] The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. EU countries are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.