The Roman Archaeology Conference (RAC) is the premier international conference devoted to Roman archaeology. It is organised’by the Roman Society every two years.
A Call for Sessions has been issued. The deadline for this 28 April 2017.
Those interested in proposing a session should bear the following in mind:
- A Roman Archaeology Conference RAC session should consist of 4 to 6 presentations (double-sessions and half-sessions will be considered)
- Presentations should last no longer than 30 minutes
- Speakers are asked to leave sufficient time at the end of their papers for questions from the audience, though time for more general discussion should also be included at the end of sessions
- The official conference languages are English, French, German
Proposals to organise conference sessions should include the following information:
- Title of the session
- Name, affiliation, postal address and email of the proposer(s)
- A short description of the theme or subject area of the session (not more than 300 words)
Unlike at previous Roman Archaeology Conferences, session proposals should not include details of preferred speakers and themes / titles of their presentations. A separate Call for Papers will be issued after the final session line-up has been announced (see below).
The Roman Archaeology Conference will have a full session devoted to Roman Britain (for which organisers are sought), a full session dealing with another region of the Roman Empire, which for 2018 will be Asia Minor, as well as a general session for any papers that do not correspond with a themed session (coordinated by the Organising Committee).
Submissions should sent by email to the RAC 2018 Organising Committee: email@example.com
Session proposals will be considered by the RAC 2018 Organising Committee and sessions proposers will be informed of the Committee’s decision by email. The Conference schedule will be announced by the end of May 2017.
A Call for Papers will follow in June 2017. Session proposers are reminded that successful session submissions will be advertised to encourage other speakers to apply to join their session. The deadline for paper proposals will be Friday 8 September 2017. The final programme of speakers will be decided by the Organising Committee together with the session proposers and announced in October 2017.
Please note: This is a participative conference where more than half the delegates are speaking, so all delegates are expected to pay the conference fee. This helps keep the fees as low as possible and also maximises participation and engagement.
RAC 2018 Organising Committee:
- Professor Jim Crow (Archaeology) - Profile
- Dr Ben Russell (Classics) - Profile
- Dr Manuel Fernandez-Götz (Archaeology) - Profile
- Dr Fraser Hunter (National Museum of Scotland)
- Dr Rebecca Jones (Historic Environment Scotland)
- Dr Joanne Rowland (Archaeology) - Profile
- Professor Eberhard Sauer (Classics) - Profile
- Dr Andrew Birley (Representative from the Roman Society Archaeology Committee)
Roman Archaeology Conference 2018
School of History, Classics and Archaeology, William Robertson Wing, Doorway 4, Teviot Place, Edinburgh, EH8 9AG