These one-year awards are for on-programme PhD students. Professor James F. (Jim) McMillan (1948-2010), was Richard Pares Professor of History and the founding Head of the (then) School of History and Classics at Edinburgh. He was a celebrated researcher, teacher and postgraduate supervisor, and the School wishes to associate a new generation of scholars with his achievement and legacy.
The application deadline for awards from 2016/17 is past. Information for 2017/18 will be provided as soon as possible.
The awards cover one year of PhD tuition fees at the Home/EU rate. Successful non-EU/overseas applicants will still be liable for the difference between the Home/EU and Overseas fee rates.
The following eligibility criteria apply:
- The scholarships are only open to 'on-programme' current Year 1 and 2 PhD students within the School of History, Classics and Archaeology who should be pursuing full-time study during their tenure as a McMillan Scholar. Students who are in Year 3 at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
- PhD students who currently hold School/College/University Awards, or research council funding (AHRC/ESRC), or other external award (such as Carnegie), are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate exceptional progress as evidenced by first-year review reports or reports of supervisors and other measures such as conference presentations, publications, fieldwork or scholarly awards.
The following documentation must be submitted:
- Four copies of your completed application form which includes a 500 word personal statement from the candidate, providing an account of progress to date.
- Four copies of a written piece of work of c.6000 words (for example a draft thesis chapter).
- Four copies of a supporting reference from your primary supervisor. S/he should also provide an account of your progress to date and suitability for the award. If this is not supplied with the application, please note that it is your responsibility to liaise with your supervisor to ensure that your reference is received by the deadline.
Applications must be received by the Graduate School Office no later than TBA 2017. Late applications will not be accepted. The application form is available as a Word or PDF document, below.
As well as the paper copies, you must also email your completed application form and other documents to us by no later than 31 May 2016. Late applications will not be accepted.