Join The University of Edinburgh’s School of History, Classics and Archaeology at a free public Brown Bag. Our guest panellists and esteemed scholars will discuss an eclectic mix of interesting and extremely relevant topics, for free, for all, and in a relaxed setting designed to create debate and discussion and to get you thinking.
If you have a passion for current affairs, a thirst for knowledge, or are simply looking for an interesting topic to discuss at the dinner table, these free events are for you!
Brown Bag Series:
- 8 August: The Place of the Humanities in Society, with guest panellist Robert Pirrie, Chief Executive of the Writers to the Signet Society
- 10 August: Brexit, with guest panellist Professor Andrew Scott, School of Law, University of Edinburgh and member of the First Minister’s Standing Council on Europe
- 14 August: Fake News, with guest panellist Michael Fry, journalist and author
- 16 August: Live recording of the Whiskey Rebellion Podcast, presented by two of the University of Edinburgh's American Historians, Frank Cogliano and David Silkenat
All are at 1pm and will last an hour. The events will take place in the Anatomy Lecture Theatre, Doorway 3, Old Medical School, Teviot Place, EH8 9AG.
Each event will also include panellists from the School of History, Classics and Archaeology to discuss the topic in question. Centrally located in the hub of the prestigious Edinburgh University, our History brown bags are the perfect FREE option for an afternoon of debate and discussion. We hope to see you there!
These events are free to attend but please register via Eventbrite:
- The Place of the Humanities in Society
- Fake News
- Frank and David's Whiskey Rebellion Podcast Live
“The Edinburgh Fringe provides the perfect platform for the School to engage with the public, offering events such as these which will both enthral, insight and enlighten in equal measure. The series is suitable for anyone who wants to get a taste of the University, a nugget of information or simply sample a debate in action. This year’s series is an eclectic bag, there is something for everyone and we are sure they will prove popular."
Edinburgh Festival Brown Bag event series 8-16th August 2017
Anatomy Lecture Theatre, Doorway 3, Teviot Place, EH8 9AG
Tickets FREE from Eventbrite.