Research interests and grants.
- Pelvic pain and endometriosis (EXPPECT Edinburgh)
Visit the EXPPECT Edinburgh website
Wellbeing of Women (2016-18) £198,864 Novel repurposing of anticancer drugs to treat endometriosis. AW Horne (CI), PTK Saunders, P Fowler, C Becker, D Hapangama, K Zondervan, S Sundar, MC Jones, E Greaves
MRC (2016-18) £302,097 CB2 agonists as a novel treatment for women with endometriosis-associated pain. PTK Saunders (CI), AW Horne, E Greaves
MRC Programme Grant (£1,450,704) 2016-21 “Androgens and women’s health: developing new therapies to treat endometrial disorders” PTK Saunders (CI), AW Horne, HOD Critchley, DA Gibson
- Wellcome Trust (£237,55) 2015-2018 Clinical Research Training Fellowship [Campbell] AW Horne, N Gray
- EME (£999,811) 2016-19 “GEM3: A multi-centre double-blind placebo-controlled randomised trial of a combination of methotrexate and gefitinib versus methotrexate alone as a treatment for ectopic pregnancy” AW Horne (CI), S Tong, WC Duncan, B Mol, S Bhattacharya, J Daniels, A Coomaraswamy, D Jurkovic, T Bourne, C Bottomley, A Peace-Gadsby (subject to contracts)
- EME (£1,208,722) 2015-17 “GaPP2: A randomised controlled trial of the efficacy and mechanism of action of gabapentin for the management of chronic pelvic pain in women” AW Horne (CI), K Vincent, J Daniels, L Middleton, B Collett, G Macfarlane, Y Cheong, A Baranowski, A Williams, J Birch, S Bhattacharya
- HTA (£1,962,989) 2015-19 “PRISM: Effectiveness of progesterone to prevent miscarriage in women with early pregnancy bleeding: A placebo-controlled randomised trial” A Coomaraswamy (CI), AW Horne, C Overton, C Bottomley, W Duncan, D Jurkovic,D Feroza, H Harb, J Daniels, J Norman, K Hinshaw, L Middleton, MA Lumsden, N Raine-Fenning, R Farquharson, R Bender-Atik, S Quenby, T Bourne, T Roberts
- HTA (£2,487,834) 2013-18 “PRE-EMPT: Preventing Recurrence of Endometriosis by Means of long acting Protestogen Therapy” S Bhattacharya (CI), K Cooper, J Gupta, J Daniels, J Clark, E Denny, E Saridogan, L Middleton, G Jones, AW Horne, C Becker
Reactions in the media
- Dr Furquan Ahmad (post-doctoral scientist)
- Ms Ann Doust (clinical trial coordinator)
- Ms Helen Dewart (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Jennifer Devlin (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Lisa Starrs (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Nicola Watson (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Priscilla Fernandez (clinical research nurse)
- Dr Ibtisam Abokhrais (clinical research fellow and PhD student)
- Dr Lisa Campbell (clinical research fellow and PhD student)
- Dr Wojciech Szubert (clinical research fellow and MD student)
- Ms Sevasti Giakoumelou (PhD Student)
- Jackie Young (PA)
Congratulations to Furquan Ahmad
Furquan Ahmad has been awarded a a Society for Endocrinology Early Career Grant (£9,800) for his project 'Targeting lactate metabolism to treat women with endometriosis'.
View the Endocrinology website
University of Edinburgh:
- Hilary Critchley (CRH)
- Colin Duncan (CRH)
- Philippa Saunders (CIR)
- Dr Erin Greaves (CRH)
- Sarah Howie (CIR)
- Gary Entrican (Moredun Research Institute)
- Siladitya Bhattacharya (Aberdeen University)
- Tom Bourne (Imperial College London)
- Katy Vincent (University of Oxford)
- Jane Daniels (University of Birmingham)
- Stephen Tong (University of Monash Melbourne)
- Chair of ESHRE Special Interest Group Endometriosis/Endometrium
- Lead of James Lind Alliance Priority Setting Partnership for Endometriosis
- HEI Representative on the Academic Board of the RCOG
- Academic Representative for the RCOG Scottish Committee
- Member of NICE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Past member of the ESHRE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Member of Wellbeing of Women Research Advisory Committee
- Trustee and Medical Advisor to the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
- Medical Advisor to Endometriosis UK
- Medical Advisor to Pelvic Pain Support Network
- Associate Editor for Molecular Human Reproduction and PLoS One
- Member of RCOG Early Pregnancy Clinical Studies Group
- Member of the Blair Bell Committee
- Che Bakri NA, Busby-Earle C, Steel R, Horne AW. ‘Pelvic and Reproductive System Symptoms’ In ABC of Medically Unexplained Symptoms. Ed Burton. Wiley-Blackwell 2013 ISBN: 978-1-119-96725-5.
- Svingalam V, Wilson J, Horne AW. ‘Novel pain relief agents in endometriosis’ In World Clinics Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Eds Bhattacharya, Arora. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd (in press).
- Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Medical Therapies for Pain – Progestins’ In Endometriosis: Science and Practice. Eds Giudice, Evers, Healy. Wiley-Blackwell 2012 ISBN: 978-1-4443-3213-1.
- Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Menstrual Disorders’. In Dewhurst’s 8th Edition. Ed Edmonds. Wiley-Blackwell 2012 ISBN: 978-0-470-65457-6.
- Horne AW, Ford CM. ‘The normal menstrual cycle’ and Horne AW, ‘Disorders of the menstrual cycle’. In Gynaecology by Ten Teachers, 19th Edition. Hodder Arnold Health Sciences 2011 ISBN: 978-0-340-983-546.
- Munro KI, Horne AW, Critchley HOD. Amenorrhoea, oligomenorrhoea and hypogonadal-pituitary function. In Gynaecology, 4th Edition. Eds Shaw, Luesly, Monga. Churchill Livingston 2010 ISBN: 978-0-7020-3120-5.
- Maybin J, Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Menstrual Disorders’ and ‘Benign Gynaecological Disorders’. In Training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology; the essential curriculum, 1st Edition. Eds Sarris, Saxena, Bewley. Oxford University Press 2009 ISBN 978-0-19-921847-9.