Research interests and grants.
- Pelvic pain and endometriosis (EXPPECT Edinburgh)
Visit the EXPPECT Edinburgh website
HTA 2017-2019 (£1,800,000) MifeMiso: A randomised placebo-controlled trial of mifepristone and misoprostol versus misoprostol alone in the medical management of missed miscarriage. A Coomarasamy (CI), AW Horne, H Williams, J Chu, J Daniels, L Middleton, L Jones, T Roberts, I Goranitis, M Shehmar, M Choudhary, K Hinshaw, J Ross, D Jurkovic, L Watkins, J Walker, P Gupta, R Small, F Izzat, I Granne, Y Cheong, S Quenby, S Thangaratinam, J Thorton
Wellbeing of Women (2016-18) £198,864 Novel repurposing of anticancer drugs to treat endometriosis. AW Horne (CI), PTK Saunders, P Fowler, C Becker, D Hapangama, K Zondervan, S Sundar, MC Jones, E Greaves
MRC (2016-18) £302,097 CB2 agonists as a novel treatment for women with endometriosis-associated pain. PTK Saunders (CI), AW Horne, E Greaves
MRC Programme Grant (£1,450,704) 2016-21 “Androgens and women’s health: developing new therapies to treat endometrial disorders” PTK Saunders (CI), AW Horne, HOD Critchley, DA Gibson
- Wellcome Trust (£237,55) 2015-2018 Clinical Research Training Fellowship [Campbell] AW Horne, N Gray
- EME (£999,811) 2016-19 “GEM3: A multi-centre double-blind placebo-controlled randomised trial of a combination of methotrexate and gefitinib versus methotrexate alone as a treatment for ectopic pregnancy” AW Horne (CI), S Tong, WC Duncan, B Mol, S Bhattacharya, J Daniels, A Coomaraswamy, D Jurkovic, T Bourne, C Bottomley, A Peace-Gadsby (subject to contracts)
- EME (£1,208,722) 2015-17 “GaPP2: A randomised controlled trial of the efficacy and mechanism of action of gabapentin for the management of chronic pelvic pain in women” AW Horne (CI), K Vincent, J Daniels, L Middleton, B Collett, G Macfarlane, Y Cheong, A Baranowski, A Williams, J Birch, S Bhattacharya
- HTA (£1,962,989) 2015-19 “PRISM: Effectiveness of progesterone to prevent miscarriage in women with early pregnancy bleeding: A placebo-controlled randomised trial” A Coomaraswamy (CI), AW Horne, C Overton, C Bottomley, W Duncan, D Jurkovic,D Feroza, H Harb, J Daniels, J Norman, K Hinshaw, L Middleton, MA Lumsden, N Raine-Fenning, R Farquharson, R Bender-Atik, S Quenby, T Bourne, T Roberts
- HTA (£2,487,834) 2013-18 “PRE-EMPT: Preventing Recurrence of Endometriosis by Means of long acting Protestogen Therapy” S Bhattacharya (CI), K Cooper, J Gupta, J Daniels, J Clark, E Denny, E Saridogan, L Middleton, G Jones, AW Horne, C Becker
Reactions in the media
- Ms Ann Doust (Research Portfolio Manager)
- Dr Magdalena Koscielniak (Laboratory Manager)
- Dr Furquan Ahmad (post-doctoral scientist)
- Ms Helen Dewart (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Jennifer Devlin (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Nicola Watson (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Priscilla Fernandez (clinical research nurse)
Ms Elaine Jack (clinical research midwife)
Ms Lucy Smith (clinical research nurse)
Ms Lyndsey Hogg (Data Assistant)
- Dr Ibtisam Abokhrais (clinical research fellow and PhD student)
- Dr Lisa Campbell (clinical research fellow and PhD student)
- Dr Wojciech Szubert (clinical research fellow and MD student)
- Ms Chloe Hogg (PhD student)
- Jackie Young (PA)
Congratulations to Lisa Campbell
Lisa Campbell has been awarded a "2017 Society for Reproductive Investigation Best New Investigator Award” for her project “Could gonadotrophin releasing hormone receptor antagonists be repurposed to treat ectopic pregnancy?”.
View the Endocrinology website
University of Edinburgh:
- Hilary Critchley (CRH)
- Colin Duncan (CRH)
- Philippa Saunders (CIR)
- Dr Erin Greaves (CRH)
- Sarah Howie (CIR)
- Gary Entrican (Moredun Research Institute)
- Siladitya Bhattacharya (Aberdeen University)
- Tom Bourne (Imperial College London)
- Katy Vincent (University of Oxford)
- Jane Daniels (University of Birmingham)
- Stephen Tong (University of Monash Melbourne)
- Chair of Academic Board, RCOG
- Past Chair of ESHRE Special Interest Group Endometriosis/Endometrium
- Lead of James Lind Alliance Priority Setting Partnership for Endometriosis
- Academic Representative for the RCOG Scottish Committee
- Member of NICE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Past member of the ESHRE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Member of Wellbeing of Women Research Advisory Committee
- Trustee and Medical Advisor to the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
- Medical Advisor to Endometriosis UK
- Medical Advisor to Pelvic Pain Support Network
- Deputy Editor of Human Reproduction Open
- Member of RCOG Early Pregnancy Clinical Studies Group
- Member of the Blair Bell Committee
- UK ESHRE Representative
- Che Bakri NA, Busby-Earle C, Steel R, Horne AW. ‘Pelvic and Reproductive System Symptoms’ In ABC of Medically Unexplained Symptoms. Ed Burton. Wiley-Blackwell 2013 ISBN: 978-1-119-96725-5.
- Svingalam V, Wilson J, Horne AW. ‘Novel pain relief agents in endometriosis’ In World Clinics Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Eds Bhattacharya, Arora. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd (in press).
- Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Medical Therapies for Pain – Progestins’ In Endometriosis: Science and Practice. Eds Giudice, Evers, Healy. Wiley-Blackwell 2012 ISBN: 978-1-4443-3213-1.
- Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Menstrual Disorders’. In Dewhurst’s 8th Edition. Ed Edmonds. Wiley-Blackwell 2012 ISBN: 978-0-470-65457-6.
- Horne AW, Ford CM. ‘The normal menstrual cycle’ and Horne AW, ‘Disorders of the menstrual cycle’. In Gynaecology by Ten Teachers, 19th Edition. Hodder Arnold Health Sciences 2011 ISBN: 978-0-340-983-546.
- Munro KI, Horne AW, Critchley HOD. Amenorrhoea, oligomenorrhoea and hypogonadal-pituitary function. In Gynaecology, 4th Edition. Eds Shaw, Luesly, Monga. Churchill Livingston 2010 ISBN: 978-0-7020-3120-5.
- Maybin J, Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Menstrual Disorders’ and ‘Benign Gynaecological Disorders’. In Training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology; the essential curriculum, 1st Edition. Eds Sarris, Saxena, Bewley. Oxford University Press 2009 ISBN 978-0-19-921847-9.
- Horne AW. ‘Implantation and early pregnancy’. In Gynaecology by Ten Teachers, 20th Edition. CRC Press 2017 ISBN: 978-1-4987-4428-7.