We aim to strike a balance between the recognised benefits of personal meetings with colleagues in other places and the impact that our international travel has on climate change.
Our approach is to:
- Encourage and support sustainable travel behaviour amongst staff, students and visitors.
- Reduce the carbon footprint of our vehicles by making environmental performance a high priority when replacing vehicles, and by encouraging fuel efficient driving practices through training.
- Ensure the travels plans for each of our campuses remain up to date and implement innovative travel planning initiatives targeting staff, students and visitors.
- Promote and implement measures for improving access by walking, cycling, shared vehicles and public transport to and between sites and reduce the need for single occupancy car journeys.
- Ensure that all new developments undertaken by the University implement the very highest levels of provision for travel by non-car modes.
- Implement a Business Travel Policy to address legislation requirements, and reduce the need to travel - or where unavoidable - to support the use of lower carbon modes.
- Improve the provision of videoconferencing and teleconferencing facilities and promote their use.
- Work with local organisations, charities and companies to implement innovative travel plan initiatives, such as a cycle hire scheme.
Responsibilities & committees
Emma Crowther, Transport and Parking Manager, Estates and Buildings
Sustainability and Environment Advisory Committee (Operations), Convenor: Nigel Paul, Director of Corporate Services
Find out more
This article was published on May 23, 2011