Sustainability on campus
The University’s ability to fulfil its primary purposes of teaching, research and knowledge exchange rests squarely on the high quality of our people, services and physical infrastructure.
Developing and showcasing best practice
- Launched our Social Responsibility and Sustainability Strategy 2010-2020.
- Established the Sustainability and Environment Advisory Group (Operations) to deliver all operational aspects of the University’s sustainability action plans and programmes.
- Published Climate Action Plan 2010-2020, setting out how we plan to reduce our carbon footprint by 29% by 2020.
- Were given a First Class award in the People & Planet Green League 2010, ranked 13 out of 133 for environmental policy and performance.
- Were ranked third of 28 universities and awarded Silver Standard in the Universities that Count sustainability benchmarking programme.
- Edinburgh University Students Association was named Overall Gold winner at the NUS Sound Environmental Impact Awards out of 83 entries.
Our on campus initiatives
Our goal is to develop and showcase best practice, informed by and informing the University’s research and teaching missions.
Our approach is to embed our social responsibility and sustainability objectives in our strategies, policies and work plans that address the support and development of our people, services and infrastructure.
- Encourage and support members of the University community to become effective agents of positive change, drawing on the University’s own teaching resources, including the Global Academies.
- Apply our own research and expertise to inform our policy and practice, and offer issues in need of study as dissertation topics.
- Manage our physical infrastructure and the procurement of goods and services in ways that maximise efficiency and effectiveness while minimising social, environmental and other risks.
- Collaborate with other organisations to share our expertise and develop best practice in addressing social responsibility and sustainability.
- Establish efficient and effective systems to record, report and act on our main social and environmental impacts.
Responsibilities & committees
Professor Mary Bownes, Vice Principal External Relations, with strategic responsibility in postgraduate affairs, widening participation, recruitment, admission, scholarships, sustainability and community relations.
Sustainability and Environment Advisory Group (SEAG) advises Central Management Group and provides necessary drive, leadership and focus in order to promote sustainability and social responsibility within the University of Edinburgh and the Further and Higher Education sector. Convenor: Professor Mary Bownes, Vice Principal External Relations.
SEAG-Operations Group delivers all operational aspects of the University’s sustainability action plans and programmes, seeking to continuously improve the environmental performance of all operational areas of the University. Chair: Nigel Paul, Director of Corporate Services
Find out more
Read our Social Responsibility & Sustainability Strategy.
Read our Implementation Plan to see how we are putting the strategy into practice.
Read the Implementation Progress Log to see how we are doing.
This article was published on May 23, 2011