St John's Land

Currently the site of the Centre for Educational Sociology, St John’s Land was originally built in the 18th century.

St John's Land was erected between 1766-68 by John, the second Earl of Hopetoun, as part of a tenement development scheme.

In the early 1950s Moray House purchased St John's Land and the tenements along the east side of St John Street for redevelopment.

The building formally opened on 24th May 1956. It included the Moray House Theatre and studios for teaching Speech and Drama.

Over the years St John's Land also housed the Scottish Centre for Education Overseas and the Department for Social Science and Social Work.

St John's Land
Holyrood Road Edinburgh EH8 8AQ
Related links

Accessibility menu