The building houses a large lecture theatre, laboratories and the natural history collections.
Sculpted by Phyllis Bone, the decorative front entrance and a series of oval plaques depict animals from each of the principal zoogeographical regions.
Windows in the laboratory span from ceiling to bench level. They face north and north-east, giving an even light ideal for microscopy.
The Natural History Collections represent the entire invertebrate phyla and vertebrate classes.
Although most of the current exhibits are from the 1920s, the University has been amassing zoological specimens since 1692, when the first exhibits were displayed in Old College.
The highlight of the collections is the Aubrey Manning Gallery, named in honour of the Professor of Natural History from 1973 - 1997, which houses the vertebrate exhibits.
This article was published on Aug 10, 2011