Previously an extension of the Old Medical School at Teviot Place, the Chrystal Macmillan Building is now home to the School of Social and Political Science.
Prior to the refurbishment, the diverse research areas of the School had been dispersed over a number of sites.
The project aimed to provide a central space for the study of social and political science as well as to bring the School into close proximity with the School of Health in Social Science to promote collaboration.
Completed in June 2008, the project included extensive internal alteration and refurbishment to provide state-of-the-art research training facilities for both quantitative and qualitative methods.
Suffragist and founder of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, Chrystal Macmillan (1872 - 1937) was also the first female science graduate of the University in 1896.
She made history again in 1908 as the first woman to plead a case before the House of Lords, where she argued for the right to vote for female university graduates.
The new building was named after Chrystal Macmillan in honour of her dedication to peace and women’s rights, and as a symbol of the School’s academic interest in gender, international politics and human rights.
This article was published on Aug 10, 2011